Dealing with acne is no fun. It doesn’t matter if it’s an errant blemish or a cystic outbreak – when acne strikes, you want it gone. You also want to prevent it from happening in the first place – and that’s where the right skincare products can really help. If you are fighting the good fight against acne, here are a few of the best skincare for acne products that you can’t live without.
What is the Best Skincare Product for Acne?
There is a virtual sea of products for acne-prone skin on the market. How do you know which is the best and how do you determine the ones you can’t live without? Part of the winning equation is what active ingredients are in the product. There are some that help to manage acne better than others and they are what you need to be on the lookout for.
The best skincare for acne will have one of these ingredients:
- Salicylic acid – This ingredient helps to exfoliate the outer layer of skin on your face and then penetrates deep into your pores in order to help prevent clogging, as well as to remove clogs that have already formed.
- Benzoyl peroxide – In order to target the harmful bacteria that can cause acne, you need this ingredient. In addition to killing bacteria, it also prevents clogged pores without irritating the skin.
- Retinoids -To manage acne and keep your skin looking young, retinoids are the ticket. They work by helping to regulate skin cell turnover and by keeping inflammation and pore-clogging oil at bay.
- Alpha hydroxy acids – An integral ingredient in any acne treatment because it dissolves the bonds that hold dead skin cells to your healthy skin to reveal brighter, smoother and acne-free skin underneath.
Recommended Skincare Products for Acne
In the fight against acne, Glycolic Acid and Salicylic Acid are your two biggest weapons. NazarianSkin Clear 1 combines these two power players to help unclog pores and remove dead skin cells that can make proper oil drainage difficult for your skin. The natural botanicals used in Clear 1 help to soothe and tone irritated skin.
Protecting your skin from the environment is essential if you want to keep it healthy. Epionce Intense Defense Serum helps to repair and refresh skin, using natural ingredients to help reinforce skin’s natural moisture barrier to help keep your skin blemish-free as it reduces the signs of aging. This serum also provides your skin with a variety of antioxidants meant to protect against free radicals that can damage the health and vibrancy of your skin.
Just because you have a busy schedule doesn’t mean you can’t give your skin what it needs to fight acne. Take NazarianSkin Glycolic Pads with you on the go to cleanse, hydrate, and gently exfoliate your skin. The glycolic acid helps to remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin as the witch hazel reduces pore size and zaps up surface oil. It’s the perfect pairing for your busy life, just throw them in your bag and pull them out when you need them!
Keep your skin looking youthful as you soothe it with the time-released retinol and antioxidants in this Retinol Complete 0.5 serum. Using it daily can help to reduce breakouts, brighten skin, and reduce fine lines. The time-released retinol helps to reduce irritation to leave your skin looking and feeling great.
If you’ve been missing a go-to exfoliant in your skincare routine, then you need Nazarian Skincare Polish. This product was designed with care to be gentle on the skin as it gently scrubs away excess dirt, oil, and dead skin cells to reveal youthful and glowing skin underneath.
This Alastin Skincare gentle, self-foaming face cleanser is a great addition to any skincare routine. It helps to remove surface impurities from the skin without irritating or drying it out. It’s a unique blend of moisturizers that helps to soothe and soften skin as it reinforces the skin’s natural moisture barrier. A great choice for acne-prone, sensitive skin.
This foaming gel cleanser deep cleans your pores to remove oil, dirt, makeup, and other buildups without drying or irritating the skin. It’s so gentle that it will work for all skin types, including sensitive skin. It’s a great way to prepare your face for the other products you use to help fight acne and blemishes for a flawless complexion.
This exfoliating cleanser combines the power of alpha and beta hydroxy acids (AHA/BHA) to remove impurities from your pores to reveal the healthy, glowing skin underneath. It also harnesses the power of natural botanicals to soothe inflammation, minimize pores, and reduce hyperpigmentation.
Facial toners are an essential part of any skincare routine, especially when trying to control oil to prevent breakouts. Revision Skincare Soothing Facial Rinse uses gentle and natural ingredients to nourish skin as it tightens pores. Plus, it’s gentle enough for use on even the most sensitive skin.
Gently eliminates dead skin cells, oil, and dirt from pores without unbalancing the skin’s organic moisture barrier with Epionce Lytic Gel Cleanser. It uses willow bark and menthol to reduce irritation and calm the skin as balances out the pH level of the skin in preparation for other skincare treatments. A great choice for all types of skin, including oily skin prone to breakouts.
iS Clinical Cleansing Complex
This gentle, clarifying facewash exfoliates the skin as it tightens the appearance of pores. It harnesses the power of natural antioxidants to heal damaged skin and reduce further damage from free radicals that like to wreak havoc on your complexion. An ideal choice for both men and women who struggle with their skin’s texture and balance.
This moisturizer is fortified with ingredients that help to improve the condition of the skin to deeply moisturize and hydrate. Natural enzymes work to gently exfoliate skin and increase surface cell turnover as antioxidants protect the skin from damage by free radicals. This moisturizer improves dry skin and smooths fine lines and wrinkles without clogging pores and contributing to breakouts.
Acne Cleansing Wipes for oily or acne-prone skincare formulated with 2% salicylic acid to help treat and prevent acne while quickly cleansing and refreshing the skin. These pads are a great addition to any anti-acne skincare routine and a must have travel essential wipe.
Easy Ways to Make a Skincare Routine Habit Forming
Great skin is more than hereditary, it’s also the result of good daily habits. In fact, your commitment to a healthy routine is right in front of you, as your habits – good and bad -- are written all over your face. If you’ve tried in the past to create a healthy skincare routine only to have it eventually fizzle out, don’t worry! We’ve got a few great tips and tricks to help you keep your skin healthy and glowing.
Forming a New Habit
A good skincare routine is a habit just like anything else you do, such as exercise or making your own smoothie each morning. The key to making it a habit? Repetition.
With a skincare routine, it’s important to identify the individual parts that make up the routine, then focus on doing them each and every day. Arm yourself with the right tools in the best skincare products for your skin, know the right order, and focus on accomplishing the steps daily. Before you know it, you’ll be looking in the mirror at clean, moisturized, healthy skin and wonder why you didn’t start your routine earlier!
You should also remember that your skin won’t change overnight. You need to give it time in order to see the benefits of a daily skincare routine. Consistency is the only way you’re going to reap the benefits, which won’t show up until about six weeks after you start your new skincare routine.
Know the Main Steps
If you want to make skincare a habit successfully, you first need to know the steps of a good skincare routine. To keep it simple, you really only need to know three steps:
- Cleansing – This is simply washing your face
- Toning – Helps to create balance for your skin
- Moisturizing – Softens and hydrates your skin
Remember, the goal of a skincare routine is to nurture your skin so it can be healthy. It also helps target trouble areas and addresses any issues you may have with your skin. So, take stock of your skin and ask yourself a few what issues need to be addressed, then find the best skincare products for that issue. Remember, your skin’s needs may change over time, so always touch base with yourself to ensure your skin’s needs are being met.
All About Cleansing
The first rule of facial cleansing to help build your skincare routine? Understanding your skin type. Once you pinpoint the type of skin you have, you can better understand how to care for it and know the best skin care products to use for it. The basic skin types are:
- Normal skin – This type of skin is clear, not sensitive, and balanced. Look for oil-based cleansers, balms, and no-rinse creams. Water-based cleansers tend to work great for this skin type, as well.
- Sensitive Skin – With sensitive skin, you may notice itching, burning, or stinging after you apply products to your face. An oil-based cleanser is the winner for this type of skin as the oil you apply can help absorb excess oil from your skin while soothing it.
- Oily skin – With oily skin, you’ll notice large pores and shiny, greasy-looking skin. Look for a foaming liquid cleaner to break down dirt and oil, washing them out of your pores.
- Combination skin – A cross between dry skin (usually on the cheeks) and oily skin (typically on the nose, chin, and forehead). Look for soap-free options such as micellar water to cleanse your face, which can absorb oil without drying the skin out.
- Dry skin – A scaly, rough, or flaky appearance is the hallmark of dry skin. Opt for a lotion or cream-based cleanser to help hydrate the skin and rid it of impurities.
Your skin comes in contact with a variety of things each day, so wash your face both in the morning when you first wake and in the evening before you go to bed.
Talk About Toner
When you think of facial toners, you might think of products that sting your skin. Several years ago, alcohol-based toners were all the rage, but toners have come a long way in a short time. Today, you can find toners that work to nurture your skin and balance your complexion.
After washing your face, apply toner with clean fingertips or a cotton pad. Look for a toner that has one of these ingredients to get the most out of this skincare routine step:
- Hyaluronic acid – helps to plump and hydrate skin to help reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Vitamin C and E – These antioxidants help fight back against your skin’s daily exposure to free radicals that can cause premature aging
- Alpha and beta hydroxy acids – work to remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and to brighten skin
Don’t Forget to Moisturize
Moisturizers work to soften and hydrate the skin to prevent the loss of water through the skin’s outer layers. Moisturizing is such an important step to your skincare routine because, as you age, your skin loses the ability to hold on to moisture which can cause you to look older than you are.
Once again, you should look at your skin to determine what kind of moisturizer you need. In general, match the type of moisturizer you use with the type of skin you have:
- For dry skin – Look for cream-based moisturizers that feel a little heavier than a lotion
- For combination and normal skin – These skin types benefit from traditional lotion moisturizers that absorb well
- For sensitive skin – Look for balm-based moisturizers
- For oily skin – Water-based moisturizers, usually in gel form, will be the best complement to this skin type
Forming a new habit isn’t that difficult: you simply need to make a commitment to your skin to complete your skincare routine each day. Before you know it, it will be second nature!
The Best Skincare for Acne is Within Reach
You may not be able to avoid acne throughout your entire life, but you also don’t have to suffer from it! Take control of your skin with the best skincare for acne and give those blemishes a run for their money!
Check out our blog to learn more about creating a summer skincare routine.