Stress, smoking, poor diet, and sun damage are a few of the harsh conditions that make our skin appear less youthful and radiant. Growth factor serums are the hottest ticket in skincare, and it’s easy to see why: they work!
Topical growth factors are well-studied, widely available, and proven to work, but which ones are worth the cost? We’ll summarize the year’s top choices in this growth factor serum roundup.
What are Growth Factors?
At their most simplified, growth factors are naturally occurring proteins that stimulate tissue growth, signaling your cells to start repairing the damage and building fresh collagen and elastin. Young, vibrant tissues are quickly able to correct blemishes and damage.
Healthy cells stay plump and firm until signs of aging and environmental damage arise. These growth factors become less effective in repairing damaged tissue as we age, making it difficult to keep our skin looking its best.
How do Growth Factors work?
Growth factors stimulate cell regeneration differently depending on the growth factor at work. Kickstarting dormant cells, growth factors can even stimulate entirely new growth.
Countless growth factors exist. Still, the most widely used are
- Epidermal Growth Factor: The Epidermal growth factor is the most popular growth factor that stimulates your cells using osteogenic proliferation.
- Fibroblast and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factors: These growth factors stimulate blood vessel proliferation when applied topically.
Where Do Growth Factors Come From?
Growth factors are created in labs and derived from plant, animal, and human sources.
Human-derived growth factors are more costly and are taken from sources like epidermal and placental cells. Other sources of growth factors include bacteria, yeast, snails, and plants.
When to Consider Using Growth Factor Serums?
Experts agree that anti-aging skincare routines should start in our early 20s for the best results.
However, it’s never too late to use them, as they are effective on all skin types. Growth factor serums are a powerful all-in-one solution for those with sensitive and aging skin.
Benefits of Using Growth Factor Serums
Growth factors are the newest technology in anti-aging skincare. Tackling multiple signs of aging at once, consistent use can even help delay the need for cosmetic procedures.
Other benefits of using growth factor serums include:
- Reduction in Fine Lines and Wrinkles: The basic fibroblast growth factor (FGF-2) treats and prevents wrinkles and expression lines by stimulating cellular growth at multiple levels.
- Hydration, Tightening, & Improvement in Skin’s Elasticity: Top growth factor serums contain hydrating elements, such as hyaluronic acid, to supply and maintain proper skin moisture. The increase in collagen production promotes skin tightness and improvement in skin elasticity.
- Smooths, Firms, and Evens Skin Tone: Growth factors are healing agents that stimulate the body’s natural repair process. With consistent use, these serums can naturally repair the skin barrier and increase the number of structural proteins to improve skin tone and texture.
- Stimulates Natural Growth of Collagen & Elastin: Growth factor serums contain potent healing ingredients which create biochemical pathways to promote cell regeneration and tissue repair. In other words, these serums increase natural collagen and elastin production in the skin.
- Protects Skin Against Environmental Contaminants: The natural healing qualities of these serums reinforce the skin barrier, repairing previous damage, improving structural integrity, and promoting healthy, thick skin.
- Non-Invasive Anti-Aging Treatment: One of the most convenient qualities of growth factor serums is their ability to transform skin tone and texture non-invasively. You can use growth factor serums alone or with cosmetic treatments for exceptional rejuvenating results.
Our Favorite Growth Factor Serums
Deciding which anti-aging serums to use can be overwhelming, especially if you’re new to growth factors. We run down this year’s favorite growth factor serums for anti-aging results you can rely on.
Biopelle Tensage Intensive Serum
A fascinating product, Biopelle Tensage Intensive Serum contains growth factors derived from snails! This serum uses a combination of
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C brightens skin tone, and defends against free radicals
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E repairs damage from free radicals, and decreases inflammation
- SCA BioRepair: The SCA BioRepair is a combination of growth factors, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acid that contributes to improved skin texture, tone, and elasticity.
Biopelle Tensage Intensive Serum’s popularity speaks to its effectiveness. It is especially beneficial for post-procedure healing, helping to encourage cell repair and shortening recovery times
Don’t take our word for it; check out what real users say in their product reviews here.
Alastin Skincare Restorative Skin Complex
Named “Best Moisturizer for Mature Skin 2021,” Alastin Skincare Restorative Skin Complex is one of our favorite anti-aging products.
Patented TriHex Technology stimulates collagen and elastin production to help thicken thinning skin. Especially helpful against signs of aging, Alastin’s patented TriHex technology packs a triple peptide punch as well as these other results:
- Reduces Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Fights Dull, Uneven Skin Tones
- Plumps Thinning Skin
- Helps Prevent Further Damage
Aquavit SKINWORKOUT Ultimate Radiance Serum
They named it Ultimate Radiance for a reason! Aquavit’s SKINWORKOUT serum uses hyaluronic acid for wound healing, ultimate hydration, and renewed radiance.
A few of the reasons customers love Aquavit SKINWORKOUT Ultimate Radiance:
- Professional Strength Products In Your Own Home.
- Fights Uneven Tone and Texture
- Bio-Clean Sterilized Serum
- Stimulates Tissue Regeneration with Safe and Effective Growth Factors
Particularly effective as a post-laser treatment, Aquavit SKINWORKOUT Ultimate Radiance Serum is your ace in the hole for anti-aging and accelerated healing.
Sente Dermal Contour Pressed Serum
Sente wants to help the youthful contours of your face stay plump and hydrated. Their Dermal Contour Pressed Serum knocks out those fine lines and wrinkles while repairing dry, sun-damaged skin.
Sente Dermal Contour Pressed Serum will also
- Highlight your face’s curves with improved volume and elasticity
- Restore youthfulness with fewer fine lines and wrinkles
- Firm and tighten sagging skin
While this product is technically a cream and serum hybrid, we couldn’t leave it off the list. Sente Dermal Contour Pressed Serum is a powerhouse for fighting signs of aging.
NazarianSkin Collagen Boost 1 & 2
Carefully formulated with you in mind, NazarianSkin Collagen Boost fights signs of aging from the inside out.
Collagen deep in the dermis layer of the skin is stimulated, helping restore a more youthful appearance. This two-part system is used each morning and night, working to
- Stimulate New Collagen Production
- Improve Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Hydrate and Plump with Boost 1 in the Morning
- Promote Healing and Protect from Future Damage with Boost 2 before Bed
NazarianSkin Collagen Boost is cruelty-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, and safe for pregnant or nursing people. It’s no surprise that this heavy-hitter is also known as The Fountain of Youth!
SkinMedica TNS Advanced+ Serum
SkinMedica is a well-known and trusted anti-aging skincare brand. Their Tissue Nutrient Solution (TNS) Advanced+ Serum uses multiple growth factors to address all of the anti-aging bases.
Users reported looking six years younger in just 12 weeks! Healthy, brighter skin is just the beginning.
Other results can include
- Visible Results in As Little As Two Weeks
- Improved Skin Tone and Texture
- Reduced Fine Lines and Coarse Wrinkles
- Reduction of Visible Blood Vessels
SkinMedica has been knocking it out of the anti-aging ballpark, topping nearly every dermatologist’s list of this year’s Must Have products with their TNS Advanced+ Serum.
Adding Growth Factor Serum To Your Skincare Routine
One of the best things about growth factor skin care products is how easily they can be worked into your current skincare lineup. Their lightweight moisture is easily layered under other creams and products.
- Growth factor serums are best used on clean, damp skin before applying other products.
- After application, wait five to ten minutes before using additional products.
- Be cautious using multiple anti-aging products, especially other antioxidants like vitamin C, as they can cause unwanted effects.
- If you’re struggling to get into a skincare routine, this guide will tell you everything you need to know.
Choosing a Growth Factor Serum
Faced with so many options, deciding which growth factor products are right for you can be overwhelming. A few key things to consider before purchasing:
- Read All of the Fine Print: Check which ingredients and growth factors are used and their specific benefits. Select products that contain growth factors that best fit your skincare needs.
- Online Product Purchasing: Avoid buying any skincare products from third-party online sellers. Legitimate skincare products will only be sold through industry professionals.
- Read Reviews: Reading through product reviews will almost always provide helpful information. Hearing what worked, which results can be expected, or if they fell in love with an ingredient or brand can help solidify your choices.
Combining Growth Factors With Other Cosmetic Treatments
Adding growth factor products to other cosmetic treatments will help shorten healing times. Other rejuvenating skincare treatments like microneedling will often incorporate growth factor treatments like Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) for improved healing.
Adding your body's own platelets shortens healing times, providing the best results possible. You can combine PRP with microneedling devices in professional or at-home settings through the use of:
Professional Cosmetic Treatments
Risks Associated With Using Growth Factors
Growth factors are safe for all skin types. However, fragrances or other non-active additives can cause redness, irritation, or peeling.
If you have a history of sensitive skin, you might want to gradually introduce new products or try a small test spot.
Like all beauty industry products, growth factor serums are not FDA-approved. However, growth factor technology has been used since the 1950s and is widely considered safe.
Those who are pregnant or nursing should always consult their physician before using skincare products.